Monday, July 7, 2008

As I sit at my new computer set up at Seth’s home (my son with whom I am currently staying for a couple months), listening to my grandson, Caleb, giggle as daddy gets him up from his nap, I am very grateful for God’s mercy in answer to prayer. Last week Caleb was in distress with the nasty cough with which his two cousins also suffered. Emmanuel was in the hospital with pneumonia and Caleb was getting worse, with breath-choking asthma added to the cough. I appealed to you to pray for these little ones, and I did so without hesitating. Whatever access to “pray-ers” I have at my disposal to solicit prayer in a time of need, I will use! I always “default” to prayer as a first line of defense in all kinds of trials.

Caleb did not have any pneumonia involvement after all, and the medicines given him were effective. I thank God for knowledge, skill, and attainable medical intervention. But only God heals, ultimately. For we all know of instances when every known remedy was used to no avail. We always cast ourselves on the mercy of God. He is sovereign.

Thank you for praying. You had a part in these little ones’ recovery. Emmanuel is home and improved, as well. My prayer, giving them up to God even as I asked for healing, is that these little boys become men of God.

In all our praying, in fact, all our daily living, we must lay down at God’s feet all that is most precious to us, letting go of it (or them), our very lives, submitting ourselves and what we love to the will of God. Anyone of us who would “save” our life, putting ourselves and desires first, will lose it, all of it; the one who loses his life for Jesus’ sake, denying himself, taking up his cross and following Jesus, will save it (Luke 9:23-25).

I’ve taken this at face value and been attempting to live this truth for many years. I say attempting, because I haven’t gotten it down pat yet. I still must exercise my will to choose to do it in every situation which arises in my life, whether it is about my own health or my grandchildren. I believe my Lord when he says I could gain all I want, even the whole world, yet lose my own soul; and what is the point in that? It makes no sense to work hard all your life and in the end lose it all. So I choose to do just what Jesus explained we should do; lay it all down, turn around and follow Jesus, seeking first his kingdom and righteousness. He then promises to meet all our material needs (Matthew 6:19-34). If I give up all here to follow him in obedience, he will add so much more, and eternal life to boot (Matt. 19:29)! So what’s to choose, when you think about it?

So how have I been lately? I had chemo again Friday June 27. It took me longer to recover (6 days as compared to the previous 4), for whatever reasons. Could it be I didn’t drink enough water (65 ounces a day) to flush out the drugs because I just can’t stand the taste of plain water? The drugs are having a cumulative effect (this was my third round)? The sleeplessness side-effect robbing me of strength and energy? I don’t know, but those are possibilities.

Regardless, God brought me through once again. And I am noticing how strong I am, in respect to the myasthenia gravis (muscle weakness). Before I came out to CA I was extremely weak and, anticipating the added stresses of surgery and chemo therapy, I had a week long round of IVIG (intravenous Immunoglobulin) infusions which boosted my strength. Now 6 months later I am still strong, when the IVIG is known generally, and in my personal history, to last maybe 3 months. This is amazing and wonderful to us! I am able to eat an apple (peeled) off the core, without cutting and coring it, corn on the cob and other such eating challenges which to a normally strong person are not even given a second thought. But for me these are very real issues because of the weakness of the muscles.

I am also able to go for walks around the neighborhood on a daily basis (on my good days, so I have about 2 weeks to work with between chemo sessions). I couldn’t do that before. Some days at home in WV it was a stretch to walk 20 minutes on my treadmill. I don’t run or even speed walk either! Randy has been praying God would heal me of the cancer and the myasthenia. I’ve lived with the MG since 13 years of age.

God has been very gracious to me and I am so very thankful. Your prayers, concern and the many expressions of encouragement have definitely played an important part in all this. Thank you.

Randy, back in the saddle in West Virginia, is working away with a will. We talk about every day by phone. Randy dislikes talking on the phone but it is the only way we can “be together” so many miles apart so it truly is a case of “love covers a multitude…”!.

Along with focusing on research and writing, dealing with teams, and overseeing staff, he is trying to hire a nearby accounting company to take over the bookkeeping responsibilities of Mustard Seeds, even though a staff person in the position is the ideal. We have not had anyone apply for the position from our recruiting efforts. It is not exciting work, but absolutely necessary! Bless all the bookkeepers and administrative assistants! We need you and appreciate you. (And if you come to WV and join Mustard Seeds’ staff you’d become a beloved member of the Mustard Seed family! Just ask our 4 ladies on staff. They enjoyed a day at the spa as a thanks for all their extra efforts the past 5 months!)

We have some real issues to deal with in relation to our group health insurance through Mustard Seeds because of my being here in CA and on medical leave of absence. Your prayers are needed for us and our board, with our benefits agent, to work through these issues to the best conclusion. I have been doing minimal work from here the past 6 months and we will be looking at what more is feasible for me to do long-distance, which, with today’s technology is much more than possible only a few years ago. I may not be “in the saddle” but I’m still in the buggy!

God’s smile on all who love him sincerely.

Jacque

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Hi dear one! What an uplifting update.

What blessed grandchildren; to have you right there with them and building into their lives.

One of the things I've been praying for you and Randy is your 'long distance' relationship. I remember when Mike was working in New Orleans post Katrina. He'd work long, hard hours 7 days a week. Being a quiet person, all the talking he was having to do during the day wore him out (as did the clean up work!). Then when we'd try to talk on the phone at night he'd sometimes fall asleep. We did that for 5 months. Ouch!

You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers daily.

Have a blessed week.