Sunday, August 10, 2008

Friday I had my first infusion of Taxol, my next and last chemo (drug) therapy. I had no reactions to it and have so far had no bad or undesirable side effects (although my hair won’t grow back until this one is done with). I haven’t even been more tired than usual. Wow.

On the same day I also started intravenous infusions of Herceptin, which is not a chemo (drug) therapy, as explained to me, but a biologic therapy. Herceptin is a monoclonal antibody which specifically targets certain cancer cells. It does not kill good cells. That is nice. I feel like more of me is left intact! This is the treatment I will have to take over the next year. I had no side effects from this and I am told most women do not experience side effects. What a relief and blessing.

And I have more exciting news! I was able to get 11th hour airline tickets for Randy to come visit for a week! He is on his way out now as I write (Sunday, August 10). We had purchased tickets for him to fly out in late September/early October for a couple of weeks, which would make it 3 months since he left to go back to West Virginia (he went back June 18). God has blessed us both with grace and days filled with activity so that time has seemed to go by quickly (as many of you prayed and we did too!), but I just decided to go ahead and “splurge”, so to speak, and fly him out! It will be nice hanging out with my best friend and sweetheart.

God has been good to me, to us. I have been bolstered by prayers and love from many people, and grace and peace from God. I admit I’ve had some emotional times the past few weeks but nothing earth shattering. I’ve learned over the years to rest in the Lord a lot more than I used to! Just this past week I was walking (I have been able to go for walks every day and it is wonderful) and talking with the Lord and asking forgiveness for and strength against self pity. That is one thing that is so terribly damaging and destructive. I want no part of it. So I have to resist it when it raises its ugly head. I realized that I need to raise my sights and look at God’s bigger world, the great needs and his heart of compassion for those suffering. So many are spiritually dead and need life only he can give. So many brothers and sisters in the faith are struggling and suffering terribly. I need to care more, pray more for them. Perspective.

I believe what Jesus said about seeking first his kingdom and righteousness. It means I put those things as my first priority. And then he promised to meet our needs. I never like to hear that God promised to meet our needs…unless it is qualified by his condition of putting God and his priorities first, because that is God’s order. I can’t just claim the good stuff for myself without first laying my life down at his feet as before the King who commands all my life. That is his right, for he bought me with a price, a great price: the life blood of Jesus Christ. I dare not take that lightly.

What a joy to belong to Someone so much bigger and more capable than myself! Again I say, God has been gracious, good to me. I praise him for all his wonderful works.

Please keep praying for me! And for Randy. We are seeking him and he is guiding our footsteps, I believe, and answering many personal and ministry prayers. We want it to be all for his glory. Nothing else makes sense.

Jacque

No comments: