Sunday, August 15, 2010

We’ve heard it said, “Confession is good for the soul”. Last month just sitting down and writing about my struggles was “good for my soul”. God used it to bring new light to my understanding and perspective to my outlook. And some measure of peace to my anxious heart.

My prayer for my late July trip to Atlanta, visiting a couple days with my mom, was for emotional stability/ control so I wouldn’t be crying at the drop of a hat. God had done that for me in the past; He did it again this time, too. Mom is struggling terribly with her acceptance of what she is losing mentally and physically, being still aware of her decline. I have been witness to the private, agonized cries to God of a saint, such as when one reads the Psalms. These weren’t meant for public viewing, so to speak. They are too private. Like my own times of crying out to God. I understand what they are. These do not call for comforting. Only One can bring that to the soul of the saint in agony. In His time He will comfort. This is my hope and confidence, even as my heart breaks with the weight of Mom’s unmitigated pain of soul.

As I began to turn my eyes to Jesus, even as I was in the process of writing last month, I began to be strengthened and helped as I continue to deal with all the stressors in my life. They don’t just go way; we must learn to deal with them appropriately. There is a reason for the progression of most psalms from crying out to God to praising God. The psalmists learned that real trust in God—even when we are wondering what in the world is going on, why are we going through all this suffering--means we go back to Him and recognize Who He is and bow our hearts and wills to Him, acknowledging His goodness and righteousness. And we praise Him. We praise Him for His goodness and righteousness. We praise Him when the answers we want haven’t come.

This is faith. This is the sacrifice of praise spoken of in Hebrews 13:15; the fruit of our lips giving thanks to His name. In the midst of suffering. And when we praise and thank Him, our hearts are changed, the burdens lightened. Because the burdens are shared with the One who has carried “all our sorrows”.

“Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him for the help of His presence. O my God, my soul is in despair within me; therefore I remember You from”…the mighty works you have done in the past … “Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God.” Psalm 42: 5, 6, 11.

But life is not all struggle. As the days have gone by, ministry has gone on, carrying out the call of God on my life and those with whom I work. The 2010 summer Volunteer Ministry of Mustard Seeds and Mountains came to a close this past Friday. It was a wonderful 2 ½ months with teams of youth, adults and families from all over the eastern seaboard, and as far west as Missouri, serving our needy neighbors here in McDowell County, WV. All the individuals who made up the teams and families have made a profound impact for good on the people around us here who asked for assistance to do work on their homes which they couldn’t otherwise have done, either by themselves or paying another to do it. We also had Bible clubs held by team members for neighborhood children who otherwise may not have learned of the love and grace of God, the good news of salvation through Jesus Christ.

We are excited to see so many families coming to serve together; we had well over 10 families this summer. This dove-tails with the book Randy has written, Mission as Life: Making the Kingdom of God Your Family’s Passion (which can be ordered on line at www.missionaslife.com or the Mustard Seeds Store at www.mustardseeds.org ). Not only do we want to build up and encourage this generation to follow Christ whole heartedly, but we want to see parents strengthened to raise their children to be Kingdom people, who will in turn reach their generation and the next generation for Christ! We believe the book Mission as Life: Making the Kingdom of God Your Family’s Passion can do just that. Consider purchasing copies and getting them into the hands of families and pastors, and read it yourself, of course! (You can get a preview of the Forward by Dr. Crawford Loritts and the Introduction to the book by Randy at the above websites.) And pray for at least 15,000 families to be positively affected to become Kingdom families, living out God’s kingdom values now and carrying it into the coming generations. Scripture says David was faithful to carry out God’s purposes in his generation. May we also do the same.

Jacque

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Again, you are touching close to home for me. I'm praying for your Mom everyday, and for you.

I'm going to order some books this week.

Love y'all.