Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Be careful what you listen to. About God, what he is really like and how he works. There are the plain words of the Bible which, if we would familiarize yourselves with them and the contexts in which they were written, would give us a clearer picture of the true God. But still, thoughts sometimes come in through the back door of our minds, quietly, stealthily, and stay in the shadows of our thoughts, whispering quite effectively into our minds lies about the Person and character of God. We should not be surprised at this. We should be on our guard against these enemies. But I confess, in the midst of choosing to praise God and affirm his lovingkindness, patience, mercies, forgiveness and all such wonderful traits shown toward me, I have uncovered a nasty villain in the background, lurking and insinuating and stealing from me…peace. It’s the oldest trick around…lies about God (remember Eve and the talking serpent?). I’ve been duped.

I am terrified at the thought that I might be harboring, even if not speaking aloud, thoughts about God which are not true, just like Job’s friends did. They thought they had a corner on the truth. Theologians all. Hah! Were they wrong. And to their souls’ detriment. When I read that God was angry with them for not speaking the truth about Him, I cringe and cry out for forgiveness! I take seriously that God doesn’t stand for lies about himself, especially from those who profess to know him and serve him, even if they are confined to one's mind.

I believe God has, in the midst of my current emotional and spiritual struggles arising from the trauma of my broken right femur, opened a door of understanding in my inner being. An issue (unrelated to my current situation) which has been niggling in the background of my mind, lying all the time about the nature of God, has been exposed for what it is…a lie of the enemy. Now the fears and doubts which have been hanging on and persisting, keeping company with and emboldened by lies, are gone. Vanished and vanquished, by God’s grace and power.

Peace. It is a good way to start a new year, broken leg and all.

No comments: