Thursday, October 23, 2008

I hold the Purple Heart Award. I received it today as I was leaving the Cancer Center after my 12th and final week’s chemotherapy session. As I was leaving the treatment center a nurse stopped me and with a big smile said she had to give me a hug. Another nurse also gave me a hug. Then another came up and asked if I had been given my “sheet”, to which I replied, “No,…my sheet?” She retrieved a white “certificate” which read,

“Purple Heart Award”
This is to certify that Jacqueline Wallace
has completed chemotherapy on this day, the 23rd of October, 2008.

It was signed on the back by several nurses.

This certificate bearing nurse also gave me a hug, and with big smiles they all wished me a wonderful time visiting my home (they all know I am set to fly home to West Virginia November 2 for a few weeks). I told them I was so thankful for each of them and just today had told someone how nice every nurse and the others working in the Cancer Center were. I hadn’t come across a grumpy one yet!

It is true. These ladies and the doctor I have and the others working there, are all the best, and I am thankful for the Lord’s care of me through them all these months.

I truthfully am glad to be done with the weekly sessions, though. It hadn’t come to grinding anxiousness to be done, if you know what I mean. I am just relieved it is over. Glad. God’s amazing peace continues to hold me in the realm of the “sane”!

I will have a month to recuperate. I fly to WV and will be in my own home with my hubby for 2 ½ weeks, visiting my friends and neighbors once again, enjoying my front porch (with all new posts and railings which Randy recently built and installed!) and savoring our lovely West Virginia scenes (even though I missed the fall colors). It will be 9 ½ months since I’ve been home.

Thank you for all your prayers for me to this point. God has been sustaining me. I have my times of frustration, such as when praying for healing from this cold which I have had for three weeks, yet I go back to God’s word, am encouraged and chastened in heart to remember to praise and thank God for his goodness to me. I have so much to be thankful for.

Though I have felt lazy mentally and physically, I have to try to find the balance I need, recognizing that physical and mental tiredness is part of this whole package of treatment. I guess I have to “give (myself) a break”, literally. I am looking forward to building up some measure of strength to start my walks again and getting other things accomplished. Of course, I will be resuming my Herceptin infusions (not considered chemotherapy) November 21, the day after I return from West Virginia, and will be starting radiation therapy sometime after that as well, which has as its major side-effect, (you guessed it! Tiredness!) Balance and perspective are very important!

Thanks again for praying for me. I will need it for some time to come! Prayer points:

+ Pray I get over this cold before I fly Sunday Nov.2 and that my plugged ear will not cause problems. Safety and strength for flying to and from WV.
+I have radiation next in the treatment regimen. Pray God allows me to forego the radiation. This would be a miracle since as far as I know they routinely do rad. after a lumpectomy. I really prefer not to do radiation with all the side effects.
+Healing of Monica's eye (daughter in law) who again had a freak eye poking accident and tore the cornea.
+Pray for Randy as he writes a book on missions and family involvement, as well as other books and articles.

'Til next time…

Jacque

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jacque,
I noticed you do not feel confortable with radiation. You really do not have to have it. One option you may consider is to have mastectomy with immmediate reconstruction . The cosmetic results are very satisfactory , you may even consider bilateral to have even breasts and prevent breast cancer on the other breast. On this way you avoid the side effects of radiation and deal with future recurrences. I have breast cancer , I am a doctor and I know the risks of radiation and that what I decided to have done .There is nothing that is routine , this is YOUR life , it is YOUR option , you TRACE your path. All the best ,
from the bottom of my heart

Rebecca Eshelman said...

Dear Jacque,
I had the nicest email and my first blog comment to you - and got it erased. Oh Boy.
May God bless you abundantly - and enjoy your family and those precious grandchildren. We miss you but have had a nice visit with Randy and Josh.
Much love, Rebecca

Marsha said...

Oh Jacque, I'm just rejoicing over the victories the Lord has accomplished in your life! Praise Him! Praise Him!

I'm so glad you get to go home for a rest. What joy must fill your soul!

Thank you for the sweet note we received yesterday. You will be here at the dedication in spirit, I know.

We leave for Kenya November 15 and return December 2. Our 'new' granddaughter turns one this Saturday (11/1). I just can't wait to wrap my arms around this precious blessing. Well, and around my other 2 granddaughters that I miss terribly and my daughter and son in law! God is good!

Love you my friend.

UKfriends said...

Dearest friend,
This is from Joy. I hope you receive this!
We are getting ready to go to the US for the missions conference. It will not be the same without you. Perhaps we shall see your beloved.

We wanted you to know that we pray for you every day. We ask that you will get safely through all these treatments and that you will be completely free from cancer. He is able!!
We love you so much.