Monday, November 17, 2008

I’ve been back home in West Virginia for two weeks and I have enjoyed every minute. God has always given me a great capacity to adjust to my circumstances, a gift of grace. So, when in California, with my children and grandchildren, receiving cancer treatment at one of the best medical facilities in the country, I was not anxious and “homesick” because I was surrounded by people who love and care for me, and I knew I needed to be there at this time. I still feel that way.

For 9 ½ months I had been away from my home in WV. When I walked in to my big old house two weeks ago a new emotion struck me, like a big inner smile, and my mind said, “this is my house, my home!”. Yes, with all its warts and shortcomings, this is still my home! Of course, without Randy, it would not be the same, but he is here and all is right.

We had lunch with our Mustard Seeds staff on Monday and what a nice time that was seeing everyone once again! These are very special people to me and I love and appreciate each one. God has blessed us with a great staff of people, the “Mustard Seed family”. On Sunday, Nov. 16, we all had a Thanksgiving dinner and even Emily, who was on staff until July, was there to join us.

Remember I requested prayer for my flight to WV because I still had a cold and plugged ear? I had a great flight east, no problems, and I tolerated the trip better than I anticipated. Thank you for your prayers! The next day I had more sinus congestion and coughing than the day of the flight!

This cold was in its 5th week with no signs of abatement. By Wednesday, when men and women on Mustard Seeds’ staff meet separately for prayer, Randy called all staff together to pray for me and anoint me with oil for healing of this cold and the myasthenia and cancer, too. Within two days the cold was gone and I could sleep on my normal 2 pillows rather than 4 or 5 to prop me into a half sitting position so I could breathe! Praise God!

My energy level has increased since being here. With the cold gone and with each day more distance from the date of the last chemotherapy, I gained more energy. It feels good to feel good! I’ve done a number of things while here, yet haven’t overdone it physically. I still take frequent breaks and rest a good bit; I still tire easily, but I am gaining strength and stamina bit by bit.

Another amazing thing is happening. I am taking this as from the hand of God in answer to prayer: I have needed less and less Mestinon, a maintenance drug for the muscle weakness (MG, Myasthenia Gravis). I am in my second day of NO Mestinon. This is a first in the 45 years I have been on this drug. I will continue to “play it by ear” and if I need to take it, I will. But I stand in awe of the goodness of God. Please continue to pray in faith with us that God will heal me completely of this cancer and the MG. He is glorified in the mighty works he does and I will praise him for his greatness and goodness.

I leave for CA on Thursday of this week, November 20th. The next day I go in for Herceptin infusion and will get some idea of a schedule for the next several months of receiving this drug (not considered chemotherapy since Herceptin targets the cancer cells and doesn’t kill other cells). I also will be having a consultation for Radiation. More on that later.

Thank you again for walking with me, for taking the time to pray for me. May your faith be built up as you do so.

Jacque

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have thought of you in your wonderful old home....I wondered if the hummingbirds are still there in the fall. Never having seen you in California, I always imagine you at home in Elkhorn. I hope that it is good and healing for you too. You are daily in my prayers and I'm so glad to hear the hope in your blog. God is good, all the time! We love you!