Saturday, May 9, 2009

Time flies when you are having fun and my 5 weeks in West Virginia, in my home and with the love of my life (Randy, in case you don’t know!) just flew by. It was great being with my friends and “Mustard Seeds family” (the staff at Mustard Seeds) and chatting with neighbors and other community members. It was good to be with our friends in our missional community, a home church we attend each week. Basically it was nice to connect again with the people in my life in West Virginia.


Another enjoyable aspect of visiting home again was the beautiful scenery. In springtime flowers, shrubs and trees start blossoming and I got to get in on some of that. It was great! I am a gardener at heart and greatly enjoy growing things, even if it is a concession to the wild plants (weeds) which take over in parts of the yard. Some of them do have their own beauty; our cultivated plants started out the same way. West Virginia is a growing state, at least in the variety and volume of trees, shrubs and flowers!


While home I did keep busy yet I think I paced myself pretty well. I am learning. And with this heart condition (weakened heart due to Herceptin) I am more aware of being careful not to overstress my heart.


So, you are probably wondering how my heart echo test went on May 8, after arriving back in CA. Well, it showed no change; my heart has not improved. Neither has it gotten worse, thank the Lord. The cardiologist has started me on third heart medication. Though I was to see the oncologist on May 8, as well as the cardiologist, that appointment was rescheduled to Monday, May 11. At that time he will review the test results (which he ordered) to determine if we should continue the Herceptin infusions. I have a very strong suspicion he will continue to postpone the Herceptin but I am not familiar with how they routinely deal with this situation. I have been in a holding pattern since March 27 and will continue until I am told otherwise. I am so thankful for the peace and grace of the Lord!


Since being back in my California home, I’ve tried to make the most of my time with the grandchildren, knowing that in a few months I will be going back to West Virginia and will not have this opportunity with them. These months have been a gift to us of being with our children and these little grandchildren, who are growing up before our eyes. I’ve said before that if I didn’t have these families to come to out here in CA while going through treatment for almost a year and a half, it would be very, very difficult to leave Randy and my home in West Virginia. But God has blessed us abundantly!


One of the exciting things going on out here is that God is using me to “kick start” a time of corporate prayer in the church we attend. A small group has met three times, once monthly, and while I was in WV the group that met was the largest to meet to that point. I am currently in contact with a young woman of that group (most are already involved as “Prayer Partners” in the church, ministering through prayer, though on an individual level) and we will be meeting soon to get to know one another better. I will share my vision of seeing the group extend into the greater church body over time, getting God’s people meeting together on a regular basis for corporate prayer.


I firmly believe the church needs to teach and practice praying together. We certainly have scriptural precedent for this. And we read of God’s powerful answers to the church in prayer. My desire is to see this replicated in this local body of believers. I have moved slowly into this, feeling God is behind it. It will be up to the people of this body of believers to carry on the vision when I am no longer here. Pray God opens the way to effectively communicate this vision and for receptivity to it, to the end the body will be built up and God glorified through them in new ways.


So I would appreciate your prayers for me not only for continued healing of all that is wrong in my body (MG, cancer, heart weakness) but for the ministry God has laid on my heart for God’s people here in Colton at Centerpoint Church . And of course, I am still very much engaged in ministry in WV, through responsibilities with Mustard Seeds and prayer for the people we are called to there.


Thank you once again for walking with me and upholding me and Randy in this very long journey!

No comments: