Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Thoughts on the Book of Mark

A few months ago I decided to read through the book of Mark and try hard to see with clear vision what was really going on, not read with the dullness of familiarity. Since childhood I’ve heard and read the accounts of Jesus’ life and activities and it is easy to become bored when just skimming over the surface of familiar words.

When I was a child we visited the Silver Springs in Florida, where we rode in one of the famed “glass-bottomed boats”. Through that boat-bottom “window” we could see everything under us in the water; a whole new world of life below us not visible except through this glass pressed into the water’s surface.

This is what I wanted to do, figuratively speaking, as I read the book of Mark. There are words quoted in the gospels which Jesus actually spoke. When you think of it, it is amazing. And I know we should pay close attention to the words Jesus spoke and the things He did. There is much to learn from them.

So as I read I am thinking, listening, looking hard. I do not want to miss what is there because I am skimming the surface. I want to gaze down deeply into the depths of what is really going on, what is really being said. I want to take my time and hear what Jesus is saying to me, his follower.

There are a lot of things I still do not understand in scripture but I stop and go over and over again, as days go by, certain verses and passages, so I can get a better feel for what is at least some of the truth of the passage. This is not a verse by verse commentary, but rather a “rock hound” or “collector’s” commentary on verses that strike me at the moment. It is like when I walk on the beach and I have my eyes downward to discover shells or stones which I fancy and pick up, turning them over to see all sides. I then pocket them and move on, scanning the sand for more treasures. I will attempt to unload my pockets of their scripture treasures in these pages.

Mark 1:40-45

Not every treasure will I unload here, but one of the first I want to look at is this one about the leper who came begging on his knees to Jesus to heal him. We all know lepers were the out casts of society. They were not allowed near others, they had to shout “unclean” when approached by people so they would know not to come near them. I get the impression this leper caught Jesus when there were not the huge crowds around him and was able to get close enough to fall on his knees before him. His pathetic words were “If you are willing, you can make me clean”, which says to me that though the man believed the reports of Jesus’ ability to heal, he wasn’t sure that he himself was considered worthy in Jesus’ eyes to be healed. “If you are willing….” Jesus made it abundantly clear he was willing (Mark records the inner feelings of Jesus that he was “moved with compassion”) and did the unthinkable, he touched the leper and said, “I am willing; be cleansed.”

Wow. There is no one, no matter how cast off by society, whom Jesus does not care for, even to the point of “touching” the untouchable and cleansing him.

But this was not what caught my attention reading this passage. It was what follows. Jesus told the cleansed leper to go present himself to the priests to verify his cleansing and offer the sacrifices ordered in the book of Moses. This would be his legal proof to be allowed back into society and carry on a normal life. And Jesus had sternly warned him not to tell anyone else about Jesus healing him. Simple enough. Of course the man would be ecstatic about the whole event and would want to shout from the roof tops that Jesus had healed him. But Jesus clearly and “sternly” gave him directions to do otherwise.

Apparently the man thought he knew better than Jesus. Or maybe he just had a habit of ignoring wise counsel, not considering consequences of his actions. The consequence of his blabbing to one and all that Jesus had cleansed him, was that Jesus couldn’t even go back to the city. He had to camp out under the stars for a few days, away from populated areas, because of the crowds which clamored for his attention.

Jesus had gone into city and village after village preaching and healing. This was what he came for, he said (v.38) and now he was hindered from doing it because one recipient of his mercy and grace disobeyed his clear commands. This former leper kept others from hearing Jesus preaching about the kingdom of God and experiencing for themselves his healing touch, either for themselves or a loved one.

And it made Jesus’ task more difficult. Instead of a bed under a roof, and a welcoming host, he was forced to camp out doors away from the comforts and conveniences of the city or village.

I wonder if we have unwittingly done this kind of thing to Jesus because of our insistence on doing things “our” way. Sometimes Jesus, by his Spirit, directs our hearts a certain way but we either do not hear or do not want to hear and go in that particular direction. Sometimes others, perhaps well meaning, prod us to go in a direction which is contrary to that of God’s leading and instead of taking the stand we should, though unpopular and perhaps we cannot even explain it other than that we sense God is leading us that way, we cave to the voices of man rather than God.

What negative consequences have I caused because of plain and simple disobedience to God? Not sinful activity as we think of it. But disobedience to the Spirit of God is still missing the high mark of God and causes grief to our Lord. And hinders his work among us.

This is what I thought of as I contemplated this section of scripture. All scripture is given us to learn from. I want to learn from this record of a man who had a tremendous blessing of healing given him as well as strict warnings and instructions from Jesus. Though Jesus' instructions, or at least part of them, seemed contrary to common sense (don’t tell anyone but the priests about your healing), Jesus knew better and suffered the negative effect of the man’s disobedience.

I pray for humility and discernment to hear Jesus’ word to me in every situation so that I can obey and not cause him to suffer because of my disobedience, even if I cannot explain my actions to others.

May we all hear and obey in this brand new year rushing toward us, to the glory of God!

No comments: