Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Right Words

“The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter—it’s the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.” Mark Twain

As a writer this pithy statement resonates with me! It carries the ring of authority because of the name at the end—Mark Twain, one of America’s favorite authors. Of course, even as I write “America’s” I feel the elbow of guilt nudge my conscience because that is really not the correct word. Did you know that? Until we lived in Canada I never gave it a second thought. You may know where I am going with this. Or maybe not.

The United States of America (which would be the correct word group for the above designation for the beloved homeland of Mark Twain) is only a part of the Americas. It may not be a big deal to you or me since we live in the US of A, but to our American neighbors in the rest of North America and South America … it means something! They are American too, by gum. We wouldn’t expect a Peruvian to say, if asked his homeland, he is from America. Yet that is what we, from the United States of America, do all the time and never think twice about it.

I am reminded of a humorous book or books (it was a long time ago, folks) which came out when we lived in Canada, entitled, “’Murican, huh?” and “Canajun, eh?”(or similar phonetic spellings).  ‘Murican is for what we from the States call ourselves: “American”, with “huh” our typical exclamation following, unless you’re from Minnesota where they routinely speak a dialect of Canajun. And you guessed it, Canajun is localese for Canadian. And yes, we did speak Canajun while living in Canaja, uh, Canada. And I’ll tell you, I still think “eh?” sounds almost more intelligent than “huh?”!

We all should poke fun at ourselves now and then for the way we speak when we aren’t listening to ourselves, which I’ll bet is most of the time. I know I am guil-l-l-l-ty of that (not paying attention to what I say, that is)!

I realize someone may think I’m talking about being PC: Politically Correct. No, I’m talking about courtesy and what William Wilberforce termed “Manners”, civility. Paul called it speech with grace, seasoned with salt; speaking the truth in love. Much more foundational and real.

Getting back on the main trail after that side trip to point out one blooming indigenous example of the importance of using the right word, or at least recognizing the bad pattern of using the wrong word when we become aware that it is the wrong word—it is good to learn to use the right words when we speak and write. Even more so when we are dealing with matters of explanation, instruction and description. My ‘Murican and Canajun examples are laughable and a little off point, but are funny. I want to be sure, when I write, to say things in a way which correctly express what is in my mind and heart. Sometimes that is tricky, mostly because I don’t know enough words. Or maybe there are not words invented which say what I want to say! It is more likely, though, that I just haven’t read the dictionary enough ….

Weaving words is what my sister writers and I are learning to do, helping each other along this steep path. It is a challenge but we are taking it on!


More later.

No comments: