Thursday, February 28, 2008

The next tough steps

Monday Feb 25, 2008 Update

Hello,

At my post-operation follow-up appointment with the surgeon on Feb 22, we learned the “margins” of tissue taken around the tumor were clear of cancer cells. That is good news. The tumor was 3 cm, not 4 cm as originally reported. The two lymph nodes had cancer cells which means cancer has spread out of the tumor into my body. Other lymph nodes may need to be removed, and that would mean more surgery. I would very much like to avoid that.

Thankfully, the surgeon is sensitive to my condition with myasthenia gravis (the muscle weakness I have), and he has ordered two tests to be done; a bone scan (Wednesday Feb. 27) and a PET scan (Monday March 3). The PET scan should reveal cancer clusters in most places in the body. Decisions as to further surgery to remove more lymph nodes, and chemo therapy and radiation therapy will follow after I meet with the surgeon again Wed. March 5, and the neurologist later. Pray with us for wisdom, and strength for the next steps of treatment. We do not know what to expect and so we take each day as it comes, leaning on the Lord, enjoying each day.

I have been emotionally "flat" lately, which I am taking as from the Lord. I do not think about the scary things (most of the time), the what-ifs. God is giving me his peace. I am grateful. I enjoy the grandchildren immensely. We realize each day that coming out here was the right decision, medically as well as emotionally and psychologically. We are also connected to a wonderful body of believers here as well. I have been attending a ladies' Bible study and a women's cancer support group at church. They both are encouraging.

Please pray for the tests: Bone scan Wednesday 2/27, PET scan Monday 3/3, and another doctor appointment to follow up on past reports which were not followed up on in WV, grace for us and healing.

Pray God is glorified.

Thank you for praying!

Love,

Jacque

No comments: