Thursday, May 1, 2014

Writer’s Conferencing (and other adventures)


I spent most of this past weekend at the Orange County Christian Writer’s Conference in Santa Ana, CA. I say "most" because the ensuing 30+ hours were spent in an airport and on an airplane (no, no hotels involved). We are finally and safely home now, adventure over, with no more excitement than huffing it to our last gate, on the far side of the world, at geriatric hyper-speed. 

Back to the more enjoyable portion of my weekend. This is the second writer’s conference I have attended. I was at this same one two years ago and learned an avalanche’s worth of writer’s stuff. I learned a lot more again this time around. A distinctive of the Orange County Christian Writer’s Conference is that it is put on by Christians who love Jesus and have His goals in sight for all of us aspiring (and those accomplished) writers who attend. I like that about this conference.

Since my first writer’s conference I’ve continued to gain knowledge about the craft of writing. I’ve also done more writing, especially after finding a local branch of the California Writer’s Club[1] and a writer’s critique group to join. This “Sisterhood of Word Weavers”, as we’ve dubbed ourselves, has helped spur me on to the goal of writing and getting published. Which is sort of the whole point of writing—to be published so others can read what you have to say.

Since I believe God wants me to write for the sake of encouraging others, I need to keep plodding, taking those baby steps, moving toward the goal of publishing and marketing my book, getting it out there so people can become aware of it and read it. So they can be helped and encouraged by it.

This is the reason I write.

If anything I’ve (ever) written has spoken to you, encouraged you, given you new perspective or insight, would you please tell me about what it was I wrote that did that for you?  Words going into the air need to be like arrows shot toward a target, intended for the bull’s eye, not balloons let loose to float aimlessly through the atmosphere.

I’d love to hear from you. I promise to talk back! Please comment to jacquelinegwallace@gmail.com.



[1] Writers of Kern (WOK) is a branch of the California Writers Club (CWC). One of the nation’s oldest professional clubs for writers, CWC was founded by Jack London and fellow writers in 1909 for the purpose of helping aspiring authors socialize with published authors. (This comment was taken from the WOK website.)

No comments: